22 January 2009

Bikes and the Inauguration

The bike parking offered by WABA for the inauguration seems to have been a great success. It was well covered in the media and even out-of-towners who arrived without bikes had heard about it.

However, I did not use the valet service. I stayed home for the official ceremony and then headed for the Mall around 3 pm, planning to see how far I could get. On the way in, I met a steady stream of bikers and walkers returning along the Custis trail in Arlington. By the time I reached the Mall, there were very few barriers left, and so I rode up to the base of the Washington Monument and beyond to where the parade was forming up. I saw many, happy people still savoring the moment, some sitting on the ground watching the replay on the giant TV monitors. A few bands were warming up, but most were just trying to stay warm while they waited to march. The only group that looked prepared for the long, cold day were the Native Alaskans in their furs sitting on the state float.

Going home I took advantage of the GW Parkway closure and rode the empty highway from Roosevelt Island up to Spout Run. The best bikeway in the area!

No comments:

Post a Comment